With great pride and anticipation, we are pleased to share details with you about the Sesquicentennial Walk for Ignatius. The Walk will take place on September 27, 2019. It will begin at Lincoln Park Picnic Grove 2 (2045 N. Lincoln Park West) at 8:00a.m. The Saint Ignatius community will walk along the lakefront from Lincoln Park Picnic Grove 2 to North Avenue Beach, and along the lakefront to Irving Park and back to North Avenue Beach. There will be a picnic at the Lincoln Park Picnic Grove 2 at the conclusion of the Walk.
For many years, in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, students led the charge of fundraising efforts thru the Walk for Ignatius. Each student had a manila envelope in which he/she collected money that financed school improvements and the operating budget. As part of our 150th anniversary, we are pleased to return to this tradition. The Saint Ignatius school community has always had a commitment to service for the marginalized in our society. While we cannot send 1400 students to various service sites, we have chosen the mission of Misericordia (www.misericordia.com) as the recipient of our sesquicentennial act of service.
GOALS / PURPOSE
As in past years, students and staff can raise funds for a worthy cause. However, gone are the days of manila envelopes! This year, each student will be asked to forward this link to families and friends: https://invest.ignatius.org/150WalkForIgnatius
Share this via email and social media. Our goal is $150,000.00! To illustrate our Jesuit Catholic model, this Walk will be a great act of service. We have chosen Misericordia to be the recipient of all funds raised. Misericordia is a wonderful institution that has helped thousands of families, and enriched the Chicagoland area with support and goodness.
FACTS FOR DAY OF WALK:
- Please report to Lincoln Park Picnic Grove 2 (2045 N. Lincoln Park West). This location is very near to the large statue of Benjamin Franklin at the south end of Lincoln Park near the intersection of Stockton and LaSalle.
- The Saint Ignatius community will receive a blessing, after which students and adults will proceed over the North Avenue overpass and begin walking along the lakefront to Irving Park Rd. There they will turn around and proceed back to North Avenue Beach and on to Lincoln Park Picnic Grove 2.A picnic lunch will be served at the conclusion of the Walk. We anticipate this will be between 12:30 – 2:00 p.m., but some students may finish earlier.
- Saint Ignatius faculty and staff, as well as private security will be stationed along the path of the walk between Lincoln Picnic Grove 2, North Avenue Beach and Irving Park to ensure safe passage for everyone
- Misericordia residents and staff will assist as spirit leaders with refreshments, and many will walk with the Saint Ignatius community.
- Limited parking is available at the Lincoln Park Zoo lot for a fee. There are many public transportation options.